Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rainbow Iceberg

We did another Science Project that helped my daughter observe the Mixing of Colors. 
We had just visited the Ice Castles in Midway, UT so it was really fun to make our own ice castle with my girl's castle bucket.


 This is a really EASY project to do with your kids.
It was an experiment for me to see how much salt to use. The book "The Giant Encyclopedia of Science Activities for Children 3 to 6" suggested putting 1/2 cup of rock salt at the bottom of the bucket and then fill with water, then freeze over night. I didn't have rock salt, so I tried using 1/2 cup of normal table salt and water. It didn't freeze very well. I think it had too much salt. The next day,  I started over and just sprinkled some salt with the water and that worked better for us.

After the ice is solid, tip it upside down on a plate.  Add your food color dye (Primary Colors) and watch the colors change as the ice melts. This is a perfect opportunity to talk about COLORS or the forms of water (solid, vapor, or liquid).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!